Tilapia is a popular fresh water fish and is consumed all over the world. In fact, it is the 4th most eaten fish in the US, falling behind shrimp, salmon and canned tuna. And is gaining popularity in India as well because it tastes mild and pleasant, it offers a lot of meat, and has low mercury levels.
This crowd-pleasing flaky fish is much loved because of its ability to taste wonderful however it is cooked. Be it broiled, pan fried, grilled, sautéed, crusted with parmesan or dunked in orange sauce, each recipe will have you hooked and reel you in.
This particular recipe is a spicy Indian curry that goes well with any kind of rice. If you love spice, you’ll find your taste buds tingling with every morsel. If you don’t, you can tweak it according to your capacity for spice. It is simple and can be made in less than half an hour with ingredients readily available in your kitchen.
Serves – 2 | Cooking Time – 30 minutes | Difficulty Level – Easy
- Cut 1 large Tilapia Fish into 4-5 pieces. Marinate it in some salt and turmeric and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 4 tbsp mustard oil in a pan and once it is hot, fry the fish until it is golden brown and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add ½ tsp of cumin seeds and fry until it begins to sputter. Then add 1 medium sized chopped onion and a pinch of salt, frying until the onions soften.
- To this, add 1 chopped chilly (or more according to your taste), 1 tbsp minced garlic and 1 tsp chopped ginger and fry for a minute. Next add red chilli powder as per your taste, 1 tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp garam masala and 1 medium sized chopped tomato. Simmer the heat and cover the pan to let it cook. Once the tomatoes turn pulpy, open the lid and turn up the heat. Fry the masala until oil begins to separate.
- When you see the oil separating, add the fish and fry for a few more minutes. Then add a cup of warm water and let the masala cook along with fish until the gravy thickens.
- Once the curry is ready, garnish with cilantro and serve with steamed or aromatic rice.
The gravy soaked fish is addictive and we bet you won’t want to share and what’s more? You can buy a generous serving of Tilapia straight from cambay tiger at just Rs. 100 per Kg! Check it out here :https://www.cambaytiger.com/harvest-offer